Saturday, September 15, 2012

Summer Makeovers

Since we moved into our house 3 years ago, I haven't ever felt like our house is really complete.  So, now that I am home I have decided to get to work.  Of course our needs have changed since then, so I have adjusted the to do list a bit.  Plus, our budget is smaller since I am home, so we have to be a little more creative.  I decided to start out small so we didn't get too discouraged. 
I have spent a good portion of the summer working slowly on giving our house this little makeover, room by room.  I got TWO done!

Our Laundry Room:

I forgot to take some before pictures.  However, we started out with a small space with one shelf above the washer and dryer that held a lot, but not neatly.  I started by painting the walls blue with a nice, perfect stripe on the back wall.  I then put up some 3M hooks for hanging wet clothes.  



I then searched and searched for some cabinets.  My diligence and patience paid off.  I put a fresh coat of paint, soaked those nasty hinges to remove to the paint (from the previous owner painting them) in my old crockpot, and varnished them with a homemade varnish.

Anyone want to come for dinner?  We are having roast.

I then added some cute knobs and BOOM, new laundry cabinets for hiding many things!  I have a fantastic hubby that helped me hang up said cabinets!! I made the LAUNDRY sign on the back wall as well.  I then took some pictures of my little laundry helper, mod podge them on some 12 x 12 canvas, and put those cute little things up!  

$50 total for the cabinets, including paint and knobs!
I also made some instructions on how to wash the cloth diapers.  Look at that cute bum from months back.   Laundry Room: check!




Ethan's Playroom

We no longer have a guest room.  Friends will be sleeping on the blow up mattress when you come over until the office is made into a dual functioning space.  We bought some shelves for toys, hung some homemade art, curtains, and photos, and added some big toys.  We spend quite a bit of time in this space.  I would like to say this has freed up my living room.  I can't.  It is better though.  I do have one more small project planned for the room.  But, until can make it over to IKEA, it will have to wait.
Pennant and art display board

Nail and yarn "E" made by Aunt Carissa

Art made from leftover material from the curtains.  That little corner will some day be a reading corner.  If I ever make it to Frisco for some IKEA shopping.

IKEA curtains with a little makeover

Progress, progress!

1 comment: