Thursday, August 15, 2013

Movin' on up...

We started working last week on moving our new big boy to his big boy bed and new room down the hall. I started him out on Monday at naptime.  We hopped excitedly into bed to read a book or two or ten.  He snuggled in beside me as I read and seemed very content to be in his new bed.  I eventually left him in there alone.  He didn't cry or complain.  He got up and came to the door, which sticks a little, and tried to open it. Since he was unsuccessful, he just stayed there softly yelling, "Lo, lo, lo" (hello).  When I didn't answer, he eventually gave up.  I was going crazy downstairs not certain what he was doing.  I had forgotten to move the monitor and couldn't peek in due to the noisy door that sticks, afraid I would disturb him. But, it was quiet.  I was happy.  When it was time for him to get up and I opened the door and found him like this.



We aren't sure if he was getting out or in.  But he was asleep, kind of, in the bed.

Day 1 bedtime, Day 2 nap and bedtime were not as successful.  He wanted me to lay with him for awhile. He did not want to go to sleep.  We eventually gave up and put him in his crib.  Below, day 3, was hopefully our turning point.  I read to him and told him goodnight.  He got up and whined as I closed the door behind me.  
Let me out!

He eventually stopped and went to lay in bed and read some more.  (I remembered the monitor today). And then he FELL ASLEEP, IN THE BED!!!  

The rest of the week he continued to nap in the bed.  He was still sleeping in his crib at night, until Day 5. Friday night he finally made it the entire night in the bed.  Of course, I had to stay in there until he fell asleep. I know, I know, I'm not supposed to do that.  Blah, blah, blah.  As a wise woman who lives in Arizona recently told me, he won't want me to sleep with him one day, so take advantage of the snuggle time now. And I do to some extent. The problem with him is that he thinks it's so much fun to have me in there that sleep is the last thing he wants to do.  He wants to grab my face, play with his legs in the air, see how far he can reach his feet above his head (which all remind me of myself when I was younger), anything to prevent sleeping. So it was 11-12 before I left his room the first three nights. 



On day 8, the fourth night of the bed, I was able to make it out of the room at 10.  He was not asleep but quickly calmed himself.  It may have been in the front of the door but, he did it within just a couple of minutes.  I later went in and put him in bed where he went right back to sleep. I have had to do this the last few nights, but he is staying in there. Some nights he still wants to rock in the chair, and that's fine by me. Tonight has been the best night. I was able to leave his room at 9:30. There was minimal whining and he is already asleep as I enjoy a late night snack and The Avengers with Robert. Since he is not waking in the night and sleeping in until his normal time in the mornings I am happy with the transition so far. Plus, I find it very adorable when I go get him in the mornings and he is sitting by the door waiting, softly saying, "Mom, lo, lo". And when I open the door I get an excited and animated, "HI!" or "Mom Mom"

Let's hope this will continue and we are one transition down.  Not that I want him to grow up so fast but, I think he is ready to start taking some steps a little further away from babyhood and into toddlerville.  

Now if someone wants to come potty train him we will be all set!

No comments:

Post a Comment